Please join BFREE and the Hicatee Awareness Planning Committee in celebrating the 5th Annual Hicatee Awareness Month this October!
The Hicatee turtle is the only living species in an ancient family dating back 65 million years. This turtle has outlived the dinosaurs! Unfortunately, the Hicatee now faces a high risk of extinction due to overhunting. The Hicatee needs greater protection.
Hicatee Awareness Month began in 2017 by BFREE with support from our partner the Turtle Survival Alliance. Each year, the month-long celebration grows as more people become aware of our national treasure, the Hicatee turtle.
Since 2017, Hicatee Awareness Month milestones include:
- More than 2,000 pages of printed educational materials, including fact sheets, coloring pages, writing prompts, and more, have been delivered to educators across Belize.
- Those same educational materials are made available for free online in our Online Toolkit and emailed to more than 500 principals and teachers each year.
- We have distributed 400 Save the Hicatee t-shirts, 3,400 stickers, 100 “Hope for Belize’s Hicatee” DVD’s, and 60 “Herbert the Hicatee” books.
- Hicatee Hero volunteers hosted over 50 public events and classroom visits.
- More than 15 features on radio, TV, and in printed magazines and newspapers.
- The creation of “Mr. Hicatee,” a catchy sing-along video and song.
In 2020, we created the Hicatee Awareness Month planning committee in order to better reach Belizeans country-wide. This is an all-volunteer committee made up of BFREE staff and local artists, conservationists, professionals, primary and college teachers, and parents.
Interested in learning more about the Hicatee turtle and participate in virtual activities during October and year-round? Then follow BFREE Belize on social media!
Online Toolkit of Educational Materials and Videos: www.bfreebz.org/hicatee-resources