Preparing to study abroad can be a hectic time, you’re about to jump into a new environment with a different culture and it may be your first time out of the country. Don’t sweat it, BFREE is here to help. With our ten tips for a successful trip you are bound to have an amazing and unforgettable time in Belize.
1. Write it out
- Write letters to family and friends, or journal about the trip. Jotting down your thoughts is the best way to remember your adventure for years to come!
2. Stay hydrated
- This is not only important for your health, but for your mentality. You want to stay alert and ready for everything coming up, you won’t want to miss a second!
3. Get to know your group
- This not only includes the other students on the trip, but also your group leaders, BFREE staff, and the people of Belize. Make some new connections, you never know what new friendships you might make!
4. Stay in tune with your body
- Feeling tired? Take a break. Feeling sick? Let someone know. Listen to what your body tells you, it’s pretty important!
5. Be adventurous
- You’re in a new country, try something new. Face your fear of heights, taste food you’ve never seen before, and don’t be afraid to get dirty!
6. Spend some time alone
- Everyone says you truly find yourself when you study abroad, so take some time and you might just find something amazing.
7. Ask for help
- You have an endless support system while you’re in Belize. If you have questions or need a little bit of guidance reach out! There are people there for you.
8. Respect and embrace change
- Life in Belize is very different than here in the United States. Be prepared for these changes and embrace them!
9. Listen carefully and have fun
- The staff and guides have so much information they want to share with you to ensure you are safe and you have a great trip. So stay tuned in and have fun!!
10. Get excited
- Traveling abroad is an incredible opportunity, dare we say life changing. This unforgettable experience is unlike any other, so get excited! We can’t wait to meet you!